"My dreams don't have borders, only spaces to design"
This scholarship is provided to fund one landscape architecture student who is in the third-year of the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture program. The intent of this award is to keep the memory and spirit of Grisol Lupita Ramirez alive. Applicants should reflect the qualities and characteristics with which Grisol sincerely identified- first generation college students, determined improvement throughout their first 3 years in college, and consistently striving to build a better future for their family.
Your gifts to this scholarship are made in memory of Grisol Lupita Ramirez. Grisol was a member of the Department Landscape Architecture, Class of 2018. She was a first generation college student and graduate of the College of Environmental Design at Cal Poly Pomona. She lost her life as a result of a car accident on the night of January 5th 2019. She was taken from the Cal Poly Pomona and broader design community too soon.
Her professor, Irma Ramirez, affectionately referred to Grisol as a ‘luchona’ ", Spanish for a hard worker and a moniker Grisol embraced- she would not let anything stop her. Her education and success did not come easy, she earned everything. Grisol struggled like many in the Landscape Architecture program but early on she realized how to grow through persistence, dedication and hard work. She was eventually recognized by her colleagues as the student who had grown the most within the four years of the program. Her team won the highest honors for their final project with Walt Disney Imagineering and she was individually recognized for her creative work by the Walt Disney Imagineering team. She was the one and only student from her cohort to be subsequently hired by Walt Disney Imagineering.
In one of her last Instagram posts, she posed in front of a Star Wars Land rendering. Her caption read "My 10 year old self would have never thought that 12 years later I would be a part of an amazing design group creating and bringing Star Wars to life at Disneyland! I can't wait for you guys to see it!"
Grisol was a dedicated daughter, sister, friend and colleague. She was the that daughter and sister who got her work done early because she wanted to spend time with her family or walk her dog before it got too dark. She knew the value of having balance in her life, to make time to prepare for her future, and make time for her loved ones. She was that student on the other end of the printshop, staying past her work hours to help her friends get their prints done before deadlines.
This Landscape Architecture Scholarship is administered by the department with input from Grisol’s family and friends.
- Demonstrated Financial Need
- Full-time 3rd year undergraduate student
- 2.5 or better department GPA
- High school graduates only (No transfer students)
Specific Application Requirements:
- Completed application
- Letter of intent specifically addressing the applicant’s educational goals, future directions and specific intentions for the funds
- A4 Size digital portfolio:
- Maximum of 8 page spreads of A4 size (16 total pages)
- Portfolio must show improvement throughout the three years in the program
- Post-award requirements: a public presentation of work/ideas supported by the funds and a thank you letter to the family
- 3 Letters of Recommendations; one from each of Grisol’s favorite courses:
- Plant Id/design
- Studio Design
- US citizenship is not a requirement for award of this scholarship.
1- $2000 award